anyone else fed up with this "summer" weather

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've hiked more often than average in the last couple of months, mainly due to the nice weather.

But I can sympathize when you live far from the mountains and have to plan in advance, and then the forecast is sucky as the weekend approaches. Not always, but most of the time I will have a back-up plan ..... a local hike if the weather ends up being unfavorable. More often than not, a forecast of "chance of showers" ends up being a nice day, especially if you start early and beat those summertime afternoon t-storms.

Looking back at my track-record, I have been very lucky with the weather, with only a few exceptions. My 3 times on Mt Washington were perfect blue-bird days. 2 of the 3 times, the summit was socked in the day before and the day after, but 100+ mile views on summit day. Now that's lucky.

OTOH, the first 3 times hiking the Blackhead Range in the Catskills, it poured all day. I finally got a nice day in 2005.

As someone else eluded to, I'd rather be in the woods in a down-pour than in my office on a nice day.

I went and did Isolation 2 weeks ago when the forecast called for rain in the afternoon possibly and a 30% chance of that. Instead I wake up ant the trailhead around 3 or 4 in the morning to pitter-patter on the roof of the car and it rained all day long. Since then, the threat has been there and continues on for this weekend (at present). Seems like each time i go for a hike its followed by a few more weeks of rainfall. Makes it had to really get into hiking and build up on what was done the previous hike. Definitly makes it hard to expand on the miles.
Absolutly frustrating!

daxs said:
Guy, come and visit in south Jersey. its been a pretty awesome summer. Hot and sunny, very little rain. I've been bkining, running, swimming kayaking, doing triathlons, sunnt on the beach, etc. And best of all NO RAIN = NO LAWN MOWING

Yah, all that and no mountains either! :rolleyes: I think I'll take the mountains, rain or shine. ;)

Giggy,

I think you and I should stick to our workout escapades on the Charles River during the workweek and forget about the weekends! :) Who needs the New Hampshire Whites anyways?!! :confused: :eek: :D

You Guys Just Shut Up!

or else try it down here on the beach for a while - mid 90s every day w/ sweltering humidity... :eek:

you dont know how good you got it amigos/amigas... ;)

gig: I'm just being quiet, hoping that with so much marginal weather, we'll have it good for the rest of the summer (or at least the next 2 weeks...). Standing in the rain with electric guitars and mics is not much fun. Hope the 10 day forecast changes...

SherpaKroto said:
gig: I'm just being quiet, hoping that with so much marginal weather, we'll have it good for the rest of the summer (or at least the next 2 weeks...). Standing in the rain with electric guitars and mics is not much fun. Hope the 10 day forecast changes...

With the sole exception for participants in that event --

I'M LOVIN' IT THIS YEAR!

Looking Good

Virtually every online weather forecast I am seeing is showing some nice weekend for northern New England.

Should be great summer hiking weather. Unfortunately, I can't do anything more than a short hike due to family obligations :(

Giggy, hope you get to do some hiking. The giant suck lost its suction ;)

Marty

I think the general rule is the weekend weather forecasts -- no matter where -- cannot be trusted until about Thursday. The forecast right now is considerably less gloomy than it was earlier this week, especially for Sunday :)

--Thats not to say they are always correct later in the week, I think reading the forecasts should be largely up to the readers own interpretations -- IE learn to read radar maps :)

The weather summary...

October 2006: There's too much snow!
November: Where did the snow go?
December: There's too much ice!
January: It's too warm!
February: It's too cold!
March: There's too much basketball!
April: There's so much cold and snow that all the animals will die!
May: There's too much mud!
June: It's too dry!
July: It's too rainy!

:rolleyes:

Shrug. Grab appropriate gear (which may or may not include a thick book). Get on with life.

I'm not a summer person at all. If I'm not on a beach or sipping a pint by the pool, you can keep it. The country bugs seem to know when us city folk get into town. No bugs here in Brooklyn, well at least the insect kind.

Kevin