Bearly Live '06 featuring "Grey Knob and the Bluffs", Oxford, ME AUGUST 4-6< NEW DATE

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SherpaKroto

Reaction score
No Reading, MA Avatar: Crater Rim, Mt Rainier, 8/4
Bearly Live '06 featuring "Grey Knob and the Bluffs", Oxford, ME AUGUST 4-6< NEW DATE

PLEASE NOTE NEW DATE!!! My apologies to all who have already made plans!

A few of us have been hard at work since January organizing a slightly different weekend for the VFTT community. While I was laid up, MadTownie, Gris and FunkyFreddy took the lead to keep the ball rolling. It is with great pleasure that we invite you to Bearly Live 2006 in Oxford, Maine on AUGUST 4-6.

178-182 Hogan Pond Lane, Oxford, Maine (SherpaKroto/Keenan camps)
Schedule of Events:
Friday, August 4: Campfire singalong/jam at 178 Hogan Pond Lane (Camp Someplace Elle's, i.e SherpaKroto and Elle's camp on Hogan Pond). Bring your acoustic instruments and join in!
Saturday, August 5:
Day:
(leave at 8:00 AM for trailhead): Hike to Puzzle Mtn and others in the Grafton Notch area of Maine (1 hour drive from Campground).
Evening: An evening of musical entertainment featuring Grey Knob and the Bluffs on the deck at 178 Hogan Pond Lane.
Sunday, August 6: Paddling on the Androscoggin River. We will shuttle from Outdoor Adventure and Campground in Bethel to the put-in in Gilead for a leisurely 4-5 hour paddle back to Bethel. Rentals and shuttles are available directly from Outdoor Adventure

Kayak/Canoe Rentals:
Outdoor Adventure www.betheloutdooradventure.com
Kayak: single $35, tandem $50
Canoe: $50
Prices include shuttle to put-in. Subtract $10 per person if shuttle not needed.

Lodging:
Two Lakes Campground www.twolakescamping.com
Tent Sites: $21 per night for 2 adults. Additional overnight guests are $6.50 per night
Rustic Cabins (i.e .screened leanto's): $46-53 per night per cabin. Located on the beach

Note: I just spoke to the owner, and there are currently many sites open. Tell them that you are with the VFTT (Wheaton) group when you book, and they will attempt to put you near other VFTT campers. I suggest you do 4 to a site. Book your sites SOON!!!

Our camps are located ~400 feet south of the campground, and less than 900 feet from the furthest tent sites (i.e. 5 minute walk to my camp). Although I would like to have everyone stay at my place, all available overnight and parking space at our camps has been reserved for the band and singers. The campground, however, is a full featured facility, and most of the sites are very nice (note: I was a seasonal camper there for 6 years while searching for my camp)

We hope that many of you will choose to join us in what we know will be a memorable weekend!

Grey Knob and the Bluffs are:
FunkyFreddy :cool: : Lead guitar and vocals
Gris :p : Lead guitar and vocals
MadTownie :mad: : Keyboards, harmonica and vocals
Ed "Dancing Bear" Keenan ;) : Guitar and vocals
Mike "Jerry" Holt :) : Guitar
SherpaKroto :confused: : Drums/percussion and vocals
Tall Andrew :D : Bass guitar
ChrisB :eek: : Bass Guitar, Drums
SkiMom/Alpinista/Donna/Arm :eek: : Vocals (Note: Donna is on tour in Ireland and will not perform)
MtnPa/SkiGuy :cool: : Sound and Video engineering

For more information, contact SherpaKroto via eMail, or post here.

Last edited:
Uh oh, we've got serious competition.

From the activities calendar at the campground:

August 4-6 Lobster & Steak Weekend
Friday 7pm Cribbage, Dominoes
Saturday 10am Ceramics w/Cheryl$$
5pm Lobster& Steak Dinner
7:00pm Dance with live band "The Sofa Kings"
Sunday 8am-10am Breakfast on the deck - 10am Bocce Ball
7pm - Pass the Buck Card G

thanks SK - plan to book site today will report back in with any issues due to the lobster fest!

- maybe it will stop raining by then and about the "the the" comment - I do like them - saw them live at venus de milo (on the side of axis in boston, has a new name now) in the early 90's. They were on tour with depeche mode and did a suprise club show. I got a tip off from someone who worked in the music industry at the time. great time, got to have a drink with the dudes from depeche mode!! The singer was a big drinker that night.

The new date works for me :)

Audrey, I've got Friday off and would be interested in hiking that day too.

-MEB

ok - my wife, I, meb and her husband are booked under guy wheaton for friday/sat - people can ask to be in the VFTT section which I guess is under my name!

won't be there until friday eve

can't wait - :D :D :D

Hey, the Sofa Kings ain't no competition to a bunch of people who actually get up off their butts and hike! :p We aren't nearly "Sofa King" lazy as they are, and that goes for our music, too! :cool:

I'll be driving from N. conway and doubt I can make the rest of the festivities, but I'm hoping to meet up with anyone hiking Saturday in Grafton Notch. ..... I'll check in here as we get closer to the date. I still haven't gotten up Old Speck, after 2 rather messy trips up that way this winter, so that might be a nice one to complete finally.

Now that Giggy has booked his site, i suppose it is safe to say, "THERE WILL BE NO HEAVY METAL PLAYED AT THIS GIG..." (pun intended) OK, is it too late to add any Sabbath Sherp...?:p

hahahaha - tho tough to believe - I am actually into many types of music and if I get drunk enough at this - safe bet that will happen. :eek: :eek: I may even sing some old irish songs that have drilled into my head. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Argh, dang and BLAST. This is bumping up against my vacation which involves potential plans for a trip to far Western mountains for hiking and such.

If the dates work out with flights, I'll try to make it. But it seems unlikely. <sniff> :(

Friday hike: Pleasant Mountain

If you'll be coming early Friday, there's a hike in the planning: MEB, Hammerdee, Pat, and Audrey will be doing a traverse of Pleasant Mt. in Bridgton. We'll be starting at 11, and MEB will be posting directions at some point. The campground checkin time is at 3 pm, so this will be a good way to while away a few hours.

amstony said:
Baldplate or Goose Eye??

I am tentaively planning on coming up early Saturday and stay somewhere nearby........ Anyone interested in hiking E/W Baldplate or Goose Eye that Saturday???

I could probably be persuaded, depending on timing on Saturday...