Franconia ridge questions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Unstrung Harp

Reaction score
At long last, I am heading on Tuesday to do Lincoln/Lafayette. First time in the Whites since last fall!

I haven't decided if I'll go CW or CCW yet; sounds like both ways are pretty common. Anyone have any recommendations?

How bad are the bugs there currently? Should I bring a net?

Also, I was just looking (again) at the beautiful wildflower thread. Anything I should look out for? Anything blooming currently?

I found this incredibly sweet pic from what I believe is an ancient TR from Dave Metzky: http://hikethewhites.com/franc/LAF7.JPG ...and there is mention of foundation of a horse barn on the summit!?!??!!?? A tower foundation, I could understand, but a barn?? I've never had to do snopes verifications on Dave's other TRs and I'm not going to start now. :) But does anyone know the scoop here?? Horses? Up there??!

At one time horses were used to transport guests to the summit house, hence the name "Old Bridle Path" is bridle, not bridal.

Am not sure that horses were used routinely all the way to the summit. I know just below treeline there's a circular area where I believe there was a corral. I've been told that tourists were transported to that point, and they walked the rest themselves. That may or may not be accurate. This circular area is easy to miss on the ascent, but is more obvious on the descent.

My own preference is CCW.

Bugs are much better than they were a few weeks ago. Some insect spray should suffice.

Bridle Path is longer, more gradual, and more views en-route. FW is shorter, steeper, ledgy and rockier and has no views, but many nice waterfalls. Both directions have their charms... I prefer OBP up in the summer, and FW up in the winter.

I like the views of the falls and cascades walking up Falling Waters and tend to prefer to walk the ridge south to north gaining elevation as I go toward Lafayette.

I think OBP is a little less physically demanding as a descent route.

CCW this time, CW next? May as well see it from both directions. ;)

I am a fan of CW in the summer. My reasons, I would much rather get the elevation over with in the morning and spend the rest of the day hiking down. OBP tends to be hot and sunny in the afternoon. Falling water is much better shaded and the various water falls and water crossings are nice places to stop. Basically with 100 yard from the turn off the ridge you are in the trees. You can reduce the amount of water you carry up OBP by tanking up at Greenleaf hut.

The one dowside with CW is that you hiking down the ridge facing the sun. I use sunglasses but if someoen doesnt they would appreciate the sun at their back.

In hot weather, a real nice option if you have two cars is to go up Greenleaf trail to just before the hut and then hook up with the OBP to the summit. Greenleaf is mostly in the shade on the north side of the ridge. It also has a much more interesting forest type and is far less used. The trade off is you miss out on some of the early views of the ridge this way

I am those in the CW group. I like having the reason to stop more often on the way up to enjoy the views. I like getting Lafayette done first because when you go from there to Lincoln it just feels less imposing whereas when you are standing on Lincoln and heading toward Lafayette it has a real big and imposing look to it so I always find myself saying "crap, I gotta climb THAT now". :D Besides, I have found the view points on the way up seem to add more to the trip than on the way down because, since you have just spent your day on the ridge and those great summits then the little viewpoints can become a bit anti climatic (for me). But if you hit them on the way up instead it makes for a sort of building crescendo.

I know a lot of people like going CCW because of Greenleaf hut. They like to leave it for later for a rest stop and to refill water. Since I carry all my water with me to start, and because I carry my water filter all summer long, then this is not an issue.

Brian

We were up there yesterday. Bring bug spray for sure, but no need for a net. CW loop and head up the Greenleaf trail if you can get a ride.

I prefer CCW because you will have Greenleaf Hut available to rest and refill water bottles after the longest part of the hike. In MHO, approaching the waterfalls from the bottom gives one a better perspective.

In hot weather, a real nice option if you have two cars is to go up Greenleaf trail to just before the hut and then hook up with the OBP to the summit.
By walking the paved bike path (which runs from Skookumchuck TH to the Flume parking lot) you can do any loop from Flume Tr to Skookumchuck Tr with a single car.

Doug

If you do a Flume-Skookcumchuck loop and spot a bike, be sure to start on the Flume side. There's quite a grade between the two, so do it in the direction when you can coast downhill.

I know a lot of people like going CCW because of Greenleaf hut. They like to leave it for later for a rest stop and to refill water.
To me, that's a good argument for CW as you can refuel roughly halfway in time, CCW you're mostly done by the time you hit the hut and the leftover baked goods may be all gone :)

If you are concerned about crossings on FW being high but not dangerous, CW is better because you will have a short walk with wet feet - but if you think they may be dangerous, go CCW so you can more easily turn back

I also prefer Greenleaf up to the hut, walking either the bike path or the Pemi Trail will take less than an hour

Just did it yesterday, and the bugs were a non-issue. We did it CW but we had folks who were just going up to Lafayette and down so it made sense. It is nice to have the hut available to fill up 2/3 of the way through the hike if you do it CCW, but if you go CW just drink a lot on the ascent and fill up at the hut. That should easily carry you through the rest of the loop.

It might be less contentious to discuss hiking with a dog, weapon, or bear repellant, clearing blowdowns, or bridges in wilderness areas, than to discuss which direction to do the Franconia Ridge Loop.

There's really only one "correct" way to do it, as we all know.

ps - if you can, do it as a night hike on or close to the full moon. It'll still be 81% full on Tuesday night but moonrise is getting later (almost 10pm). Very little beats the magic of being above treeline by moonlight.