NH 48 Direttissima North to South 8/13 - 8/23

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so... the progress...Mats has done 21 peaks and did a 30 mile day yesterday making his way up the oliverian brook trail - it sounded like he was heading up whiteface and pass today and then making his way to Tecumseh this afternoon. I am thinking the tri's and the O's fit in there somewhere...but meb didn't mention it.

His goal is to be at laff campground friday eve. I think (and I may have this wrong) his goal tommorow is to make his way via hancocks, bonds, zealand, hale, etc... to the camp..I guess the fran ridge gets tossed in there somewhere, and then finishing on the moose via kinsmans on sat?

I may not have this all correct...but its the general theme as I heard it... :D

Sorry to hear about foot injury, MEB. :eek: Hope that you can recover in time to complete your August Grid peaks as day trips. :)

I was thinking that Mats would not get to Lafayette campground until Saturday night, but perhaps he can speed things up as the load lightens?

So, now I am thinking:
Tues: Passaconaway, Whiteface, Tripyramid's, Tecumseh, Osceola's(?)
Tues Night: foot of Hancock's?
Wed: Hancock's, Bond's, Zealand, Hale
Wed Night: foot of NTwin?
Thurs: Twin's, Galehead, Owlshead
Thurs Night: Garfield platforms?
Fri: Garfield, Lafayette, Lincoln, Liberty, Flume
Fri Night: Lafayette campground?
Sat: Cannon, Kinsman's, Moose

Go Mats! :)

Last edited:
I was fortunate enough to join Mats for a few minutes on the Tecumseh Trail earlier this evening:

matstecumseh.jpg

He reports that, though his feet are tender from the big 30 mile day yesterday, he's still going strong and planning to finish this weekend. He was planning to get Tecumseh tonight and camp near Tripoli Road, then get to Bondcliff or Guyot tomorrow.

He also added, "shake and bake!"

Oh, sorry to hear about your feet, MEB. :(:(

I've been following this thread with great interest and was wondering if the heat was going to get the better of anyone -- can't imagine carrying such a load in this weather!

Great shot of Mats - thanks for posting!

Mats mentioned that MEB is rejoining him tonight on Tecumseh.

Good luck with the rest of the journey Mats & Mary Ellen! Gray Maine's report sounds like it may get cooler and drier tomorrow before the weekend moisture. Can't begin to imagine what its been like hiking in this heat and high humidity. Pretty tough not to have hot spots everywhere. Think I'd prefer a little rain to what they've been dealt. Go team "Shake & Bake" hoping for the best for you!;)

Speaking of storms, I hope Mats & MEB are someplace safe right now, because the boomers and rain are rolling in.

Driving through Franconia Notch right now. Lots of lightning and torential rain. Most likely will be some flash flooding from this. Hope they are holed up in a hut or shelter