What did you do in 2009?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This year was a trailwork for me and it changed me forever. I think I enjoy trailwork more than hiking now. Is that a bad thing? Anyway:

1 week of work building rock check steps and waterbars with AMC in the whites

Working on building rock steps(staircase) with AMC NH chapter. Got to meet Bill Darcy and learn a little bit about griphoists and the stair reconstruction process.

Work on the Mt. Pemiwegasset trail with the Trailwrights. A great group of people. I joined this year and plan on doing more with them in 2010.

70 hours of work on the Piper trail (my adopted trail). This trail hadn't adequately maintained by the USFS. It has 81 drainages and most if not all needed to be cleared/dug out.

Lots of great hiking as well but no milestones. I'm still at 47 of 48 4,000 footers. Hopefully in 2010 I'll get Isolation but I'm not overly concerned.

the highlight of my 2009 was the Yankees winning the world series! :cool:

oh, right, the question was what did i do?

celebrate. ;)

Last edited:
It was a great year for me starting off the year with celebrating New Years with many friends!!! Hiking Eisenhower on my B-day.:eek:

Hiking AdK's with friends which included fracturing my knee on Marshall as JayH finished his winter list...(well that part wasn't so great!) Did make the summit though!! Valentine's day with Santa hats, on Santatoni's...

Healing & PT for months and able to head to the ALPs with friends for our Chamonix hiking adventures, then I continued onto Switzerland for the Matterhorn and lots of hiking for 2 more weeks.

Banff, Canada climbed Mt Temple, Bourgeou, Mt Edith's and lots of fun hiking.

White Mountains hiking and camping with Grandson's! :D

Water skiing & lily pad fun stuff in RI

Scuba Trip to Malaysia with friends!

It was a great year!!!
Didn't do too bad for a couple injuries with down time!!:rolleyes:

February - Alberta (skiing, back country skiing), Sunshine Village, Lake Louise, Moraine Lake, Fortress (closed, but some fine powdah).
March - Sunday River, The 'Loaf & Saddleback (skiing)
May - Tuckerman (hiking, skiing, one night in Hermit Lake shelters
August - Pinkham to Highland Centre via Hermit Lake, Boott Spur, Lakes & Mizpah
September - Baxter Peak (1st time)
October - Sunday River (skiing)
Later this week - Western Maine, Northern NH (skiing, maybe hiking).

My 2009 Highlights

First ADK Winter peak (Dix) in March with my brother Willie who finished his W46 on Dix. Shredded my already ailing meniscus for the cause :( but it was a great day! :D

Knee surgery at the end of May follwed by test hikes July 4 weekend in northern Whites - Waumbek, Cabot and Moriah - in crappy weather. The knee held up well.

Later in July completed the NH48 along with my son, brother-in-law and my nephew. 90 miles, 13 peaks in one week, a severe knee-pounding test and no pain at all.

Hiked Slide and Hunter for 2nd time on Labor Day weekend so that my son and I would both be at 96/115.

Forecast for 2010 - hoping to complete the 115

2011 and beyond - Hike the 40 South Beyond 6000 footers, Laurel Highlands (Western PA) trail end-to-end, re-hike some mountains i.e. Iroquois, last hiked 1976 or Carrigain my #48 that I hiked in a misty rain.

Got in some hikes in Vermont, the Lake George region, the Catskills and NH. Not a ton but enough to take the edge off. Highlight of the year, as far as mountains are concerned, was my September trip out west to the top of Hawaii (Mauna Kea) and California (Mount Whitney). Bumped my State HP total up to 45. Gannett Peak, Wyoming via the Glacier Trail is on tap for July 2010 as is a three-day EMS mountaineering course in Lake Placid in February.

Going into my second year of retirement I finally got into a routine that enabled a priority on the outdoor adventures that ... well ... I worked hard to retire for ... which I expect to continue at least until energy prices, taxes and "managed" health care beat me into submission ... at which point I'll join the revolution. In addition to scattered day trips, here are my memorable highlights:

January - Subzero "opening day" at Baxter Park accompanied by Pat, Audrey and Marge for a frigid week of snowshoeing and xc skiing around Millinocket and the south end of the Park.

Febuary - Extended Southwest US road trip with my son that took us hiking and camping in Guadalupe NP (TX), namely Guadalupe Peak, Big Bend NP featuring the classical South Rim from Chisos Basin along with a few half day hikes, the Smokies and Grandfather Mountain in NC, and other attractions on the 7,000 mi loop.

March - Hooligan Winter Hike, long snowshoe weekend at Poplar Falls Stream Hut in the new Maine Huts and Trails system.

May - Start of paddling season including shakedown cruises of my new tandem kayak.

June - Northern Presidentials via King Ravine and Madison and Lakes Huts with long time hiking friends known as the "Keller Expedition".

June - Moose River Bow Trip, Jackman, ME with spider solo and my son followed by a wet week of hiking and paddling in the North Maine Woods and a primitive cabin in Baxter Park.

July/August - Another extended road trip through the Canadian and US Rockies with my son which included Jasper, Bald Mountain near Maligne Lake, Emerald Lake and Basin and Yoho Lake in Yoho, Beehive and Mt. St Piran near Lake Louise and other shorter dayhikes, nature walks and paddling on Moraine and Vermillion Lakes in Banff. That was followed by Glacier NP (US), the Tetons including Rockefeller Preserve, Phelps Lake and Bradley and Taggert Lakes, Yellowstone including Mt. Washburn whose summit was enveloped in stinging horizontal sleet and snow on August 16, and short hikes in the Black Hills and Badlands of South Dakota. I still owe trip reports on some of these adventures but you're better off waiting for the book.

... this 7,500 mile adventure ended with a few restful days at Fire island, NY where I would be remiss if I didn't mention the contrast between the wild and rugged West with one of the clothing optional beaches I was walking and met a couple coming my way, one in a bathing suit, t'other in a birthday suit ... the former asked t'other, "Why don't you get some sun on your ass?" Ahhh, civilization where people have the luxury to concern themselves with the tan lines of others.

September - Gathering in Eustice and a reconnoiter of the new Flagstaff Lake Hut in the Maine Huts and Trails system.

October - Hooligan Hike, a long weekend at Doublehead Cabin, Jackson, NH where the aforesaid Pat, Audrey and Marge rescued one of our cold and dehydrated participants. They should charge her a fine.

October - Hopefully the start of a new tradition with paddling friends, a cookout on an island in Fairhaven Bay on the Sudbury River in Lincoln, MA.

November - Back to Jackson, WY to buy a new hat, watch migrating elk and avoid hunters and grouchy grizzlies on their last effort at gluttonly and finding a den for the winter. Devils Tower was brilliant in the setting western sun.

December - Survived the holidays and another year ... so far.

An OK year for me. Didn't get up high enough, often enough, but I spent an almost satisfying amount of time in the woods this year:

~ finally climbed Camel's Hump
~ climbed Waumbek & Moriah (almost)
~ climbed Katahdin (well, almost - only made it to Pamola)
~ climbed Ascutney, the Doubleheads and Stowe Pinnacle
~ visited 100 new waterfalls in New England, including some in and around Baxter
~ stayed in a yurt
~ stayed in some of the USFS cabins in the White Mountains
~ went to Pat & Audrey's!
~ went to UFC's!
~ passed the stupid CPA exam which prevented me from doing anything fun/outside from January to May

Last edited:
Oh, man ... wow ... banner year, looking back.

My kids -- one or the other or both -- came hiking with me close to two dozen times. My six-year-old daughter climbed a 4K on snowshoes in March and hiked her first ten-mile day in August, and keeps wanting more. My four-year-old son is looking forward to his first winter camping trip, coming up later this week.

I never used to keep score of things like this, but since I do now, LOL -- I bagged five winter peaks including MacNaughton.

I did my first solo winter backpacking trip.

I ran a four hour marathon (not really a hiking accomplishment, but it feels very closely related).

I hiked the Pemi loop in a day, with West Bond and North Twin, and enjoyed nearly all of it.

I made a bunch of new hiking friends from this and another online hiking forum.

I added skis to my hiking repertoire, and I haven't had so much fun since I was a little kid.

I'm in better shape than I've been since I finished the AT in 1991.

It's been a pretty great year, taken all in all.

This year I finally completed my 48, and now my wife is at 29, so there are many return trips to look foward to. Also got to spend a lot of time and got a lot done on our adopted trail. Even enjoyed a day and night without rain, I was able to enjoy a whole nights sleep without a fly in June while working! We enjoyed our annual rendevous with Kevin, Judy, and Emma-it was of course, all to short.

I read like there are 52 letters in the alphabet and thanks to the recommendations of some on the forum, I enjoyed Stark Decency by Allen Koop, also Women With Altitude by Carol White, though I have spent minimal time in the DAK's and thus the topography isn't always clear to me, I truly enjoy the backdrop of the individuals and their stories.

This year I also got to reap the efforts of changing the variety of my mid and off season training. I've been swimming at least 3 times a week and have reaped great cardiovascular benefits that have really shone through when it comes to hiking.

Let's see...also, it goes without saying, I have enjoyed the input and advice from this forum. I've received great boot advice (Jason Berard) and great route info that made my last 48 to Isolation something I will not forget (Dave Bear). I've enjoyed writing TR's, finally feeling like I can break free from these bonds and write as if an observer to all that is wonderful about hiking and people. Even more so, I've read TR's that are pure joy. It would be a folly too, if one were to forget the spectacular, if not at times, boggling, photographic abilities of so many here.

So, 2009 has been great, and if 2010 will be anything like it, I will be a happy fellow.

What did you do in 2009

Liz and I had a great year. We accomplished some things we never thought were physically possible for us. We met some great friends. Rocket 21, Earl and Sue, Feathured Hat, Silver Fox, Old Man, BarkingCat, Tim and Val. Went to An Ashland Booze Night. Some of our most memorable hikes were Isolation from Glen Boulder, Owl's Head twice with Jeremy, Meeting Silverfox on Mt. Washington, Hancocks and Osceolas in the same day, Kanck to Kanck traverse with the Tripyramids, Sleepers,Whiteface and Passaconaway in between, and I think our most memorable hike a Bonds Traverse from Hale with Earl and Sue. We finished 46 of the 48 by Labor Day. Then out of nowhere Liz Ruptured a disc in her back that required surgery. The surgery has not gone well and hiking for her is not in our immeadiate plans. We only need Waumbeck and Moriah to finish and I will not finish without her. I'd like to thank Jeremy for all his advice and Earl and Sue for letting us tag along on some incedible hikes. Hope to see you both soon.

I have been on so many ridiculously awesome trips this year as a result of moving to Denver in January that I'm gonna need to start a new website. :)

l_9ec5ea50ac1b466d81600163d1b8d692.jpg

2009 was a joyful one for me, which was not for a minute taken for granted. :) A few highlights, in no particular order:

- Third Grand Canyon rim-to-rim-to-rim "run" in Mar.
- Fastpacked ~230 mile Ouachita Trail (OK & AR) in Jan.
- Fastpacked ~250 mile Tuscarora Trail (VA, WV, MD, PA) in June
- Climbed Gannett (WY), Granite (MT), Harney Peak (SD), White Butte (ND), and Mauna Kea (HI) to complete my 49.98 state high points
- Climbed eleven 14ers in CA & CO: Whitney, Muir, Langley, White Mtn., Castle, Conundrum, Capitol, Pyramid, Maroon Bells, Kit Carson
- Thru-hiked the Alta Via 1 in the Italian Dolomites in Sept.
- Ran 5 ultras: Leona Divide 50m, Bishop 100 km, Laurel Highlands 70m, Howloween 50k, New Year's Eve Coyote Blue Moon 50 (this Thurs. night!)
- Ran Yosemite High Sierra loop in a day
- Did 73 yoga classes :D
- Read 27 books

- Thru-hiked the Alta Via 1 in the Italian Dolomites in Sept.

I'm very jealous. I was stationed with the Air Force for 4 years in the 70's in the Dolomites. I skied a lot but I wasn't a hiker back then. I would love to go back and hike there.

I completed the NH48 in 2008. My #48 was my girlfriend's #24. So in 2009 we completed her remaining 24 giving me 4 shy of NH48 x 2. We did several 2 or 3 days hikes which was a real treat for me. I love camping out and I did more overnights this year than any time in the past. It was a great year.

March 14 2009

That was the day Marley (my dog), finished his W48's! It was 9 days before he was 2 years old and we celebrated that night at sawyer pond.

Hopefully, I will be able to post my last accomplishment of 2009 soon, climbing Mt. Jo in the ADKs just before midnight!

Wow what a great hiking year it was!

My 2009 hiking memories:
I got back into hiking in 2008 after a long time away from the mountains.
Thanks to all my hiking friends I got out 70 days in 2009! Many of them with Silverfox (a great mentor for many of us), Mary Cullen (a hiking dynamo and my hero) , Karen B. (my foraging((mushrooms and blueberries)) buddy) and other members of the Over The Hill Hikers.

I joined Views From The Top in February and have had a blast talking to many experienced folks. (thanks silverfox for your support)

Some highlights:
Winter hiking in Jan, Feb and March included Mt Israel, Pierce, Osceola East Peak, Monroe, Potash, Hedgehog, Avalon, Willard, Rattlesnakes, Cardigan.

Spring summer fall highlights:
Pierce and Eisenhower (first southern presi since 1996!), Franconia Ridge, Many 52 WAV hikes, Crawford Ridgepole Trail,
Adams (killer day), Shelburn/Moriah (90 degrees that day!!)

Fall highlights:
Eastman/Baldfaces/Meader traverse (another killer day)
Bonds Traverse-- my first traverse did it in 10 hrs 20 min
Mt. Paugus and Big Rock Cave --this is a very cool place
Flat Mt Pond bushwack to 3 logging camps
Tom/Field/Willey/Avalon-- met Lriz a hiking tornado!
also participated in my first Flags on 48:
Madison with Mark, Michael, Sabrina, Jeremy, skier steve, Tim and Val, Kevin, Judy and Emma were there too I think. Nice meeting all these guys.

I completed the AMC winter skills workshop with my husband and hiking buddy which included 6 hikes with a great group of folks. (missed the last hike)

I ended the year with a very cold windy hike on Mt Tom on the 29th

Last edited:
From the "2009 Year in Preview" thread:

But a few of my outdoor "goals" do include (not necessarily in order of importance): untracked powder, golden-crowned kinglets, birch glades, beer, friends, mountaintops at dusk, snow-laden spruces, swimming, orchids, tasty food and silence.

Verdict: 100% success!

Last edited:
2009 was a great year for me, accomplishing most of my goals and of course adding many new goals along the way.

Planned goals...
  • Complete 24/48 winter peaks. Managed to finish 34 (3 from Dec 2008)
  • Hike a Presidential Traverse. Done!
  • Hike a Hut to Hut this summer. Done! Completed 23 4Ks in 6 days.
  • Hike 1000+ miles. Almost, managed 857 miles, 311,248 feet of vertical (Garmin 60CSx)
  • Finish 67/67 of the NE4Ks. Sadly I only managed to add 1 peak in 2009 (61/67)
  • Hike a Pack Monadnock Marathon. Never did this one but did hike Pack Monadnock 81 times in 2009.
  • Help my wife Kim with her NH4Ks. My wife's knees were bothering her so we never did any 4Ks together in 2009 but did do several shorter hikes.

Unplanned/added goals...
  • Became a Grandpa! My granddaughter Jaylyn was born in December. OK so not really hiking related but I hope to take her on a few 4K hikes in the coming summer. Need to find a good baby pack. :)
  • Zealand Bonds Traverse. Did Winter, Spring, and Fall trips.
  • Kinsmans Ridge Traverse on a wet muddy day. This was a warmup for the Presidential Traverse, although personally I think this was a tougher hike.
  • Started working on a seasonal grid with a goal of completing half in 2009 and finish in 2010. Ending 2009 I'm at Winter 34/48, Spring 27/48, Summer 48/48, Fall 29/48.
  • Finished hiking all 48 peaks solo.

But most of all I had fun and hiked with many great friends, Tim, Jeremy, Mark, J&J, Larisa, Sabrina, MichaelJ, Jeb, Jim, and many others. Thanks for all the great hikes!

Here is hoping 2010 will be an even better year.

Last edited: