YOUR WEBSITE DUES are DUE! -- A Must Read --

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubba

Reaction score
"Dues" for this website are theoretically optional, but (possibly) morally mandatory!

Darren, the webmaster of this site, only asks us to support his charity of choice – The Brain Tumor Society (BTS). One of the ways VFTT offers support is through entry and sponsorship in the annual BTS Ride for Research, a fundraising bike ride held in Boston.

A team became difficult to organize this year with Darren returning from Hawaii and re-settling into his home after two years away. Instead, a “Virtual Rider” has been created as a way for members of this community to donate in support of this website. Pretty neat how it works… and nobody has to take the time to actually ride a bike around Boston (hey… we can get out into the woods instead!)

To pay your "Dues" (amount of choice), follow this link:

VFTT Virtual Rider

To Learn more about The Brain Tumor Society click here

The Donation Process:
(1) FOLLOW THE ABOVE LINK TO THE VIRTUAL RIDER

(2) DONATE

ONLINE: Click on the "Make a Gift" link under the barometer. (MC, Visa, AmEx)

MAIL: Select the "Download a Form to Mail" in link near the bottom. Mail in your donation.

MATCH YOUR GIFT: If your employer can match your donation: EIN is 04-3068130

Finally... allow me to herald the cause for us to donate to BTS. Darren only asks this in return for his dedication, work and friendship. Let's not let down on our need to support him, keep his face smiling and his dedication to keeping this site up and running. Every one here should open their wallets... it's about giving back for all that we recieve.

There is currently a $2000 Goal with several member contributions posted. Let's see that goal blasted through the roof!

Deadline/Race Day is May 18th.

Any questions, PM me.

Last edited:
I did my bit .... now let's see everyone do theirs!

I did my bit .... now let's see everyone do theirs! I used the BTS page for charging your donation. It's easy. Even I can do it! :D

If at least half VFTT membership donates $10 each, that would add up to $10,000. The power of crowds!!! If we all do our bit, we can really do some good here!!!

askus3 said:
Is anyone organizing a long distance marathon dayhike which we can sponsor hikers that participate and complete the trek in the name of BTS?

I didn't do one last year because I just got way too busy with house projects and stuff. I made like I was going to and kept pushing it off :( I would go ahead and support the riders, I will myself. It all goes to the same place and that is what is important.

Jay

Mongoose said:
I'm curious, what is the cost of running this site?
I'll bet the 'cost' of watching over it, moderating it, deleting spam, signing up new members, etc. dwarfs the cost in $$$.

Thanks to Darren and the mods for all they do!

I'd give you all a green square, but I'm fresh out! :D :D

Progess... for $2000 Goal

thermometer-41.gif

Wow! We're doing fine in just two days. Keep it happening and let's get to 50% by the end of the day!

The only bothersome item is that 250+ members have opened the thread and only 20 some have donated.

BUT, I read that as meaning that we've got 200-some mail-in donations! :D

Mongoose said:
I'm curious, what is the cost of running this site?
This site is all paid out of pocket by Darren. There's no money going back to Darren from any of this fund raising. The moderators also get no renumeration aside from the universal praise and devotion of our loyal subjects.

bubba said:
The only bothersome item is that 250+ members have opened the thread and only 20 some have donated.

BUT, I read that as meaning that we've got 200-some mail-in donations!
I have opened the thread about 3 times so I wouldn't say that 250+ members have opened it.

First off, big thanks to Bubba for setting this up. I wish I could do my normal BTS Ride for Research gig this year, but with moving back to the mainland I just can't do it this year. As the Hawaiians say, "If can, can. If no can, no can". Well, no can.

Cost of the site: Dave is correct and I want to be very clear about this. No money donated to the Brain Tumor Society goes to me. I have no affiliation with the Brain Tumor Society other than a care for the cause. When I raise money for BTS all of it goes directly to BTS and I always ask that people make out the checks directly to BTS.

If people want to know the actual money amount spent on running the site, it is $40 a month for the server so that is $480 a year. Plus other fees such as the vbulletin license etc so it costs me about $600 a year out of my pocket. I've been running the site for over 13 years, so do the math. The way I look at it is if site members donate over $600 / year to the Brain Tumor Society then it is worth it for me to spend $600 out of pocket to run the site. Otherwise I should just close the site and donate the $600 out of my pocket directly to the Brain Tumor Society instead of giving it to a rich internet provider.

However, the true cost of running the site is much higher than $600 a year. It is the cost of spending countless hours moderating, moving misplaced threads, explaining site policies, going through endless email, and dealing with endless criticism (yes, it is true that it is impossible to make everyone happy). So, some $ / hr rate times countless hours = who knows. For this "cost" I'd like to give a big thanks to Dave and Alan for their tireless dedication and assistance while performing as moderators. I know without their help I probably would have shut the site down at some point over the last couple of years. So hats off to them.

Aloha

Darren

Thanks, bubba

I had thought of starting a team and riding again this year and talked to Carmel about it at UFC's, but still hadn't reached a decision. Now, thanks to bubba, the load is off my shoulders, as he's taken the lead to set up the virtual team this year. Wonderful. Plus, it'll save adding to my carbon footprint driving 700 miles R/T to Boston just to ride a dumb bike 10 grueling miles through the beautiful suburbs. Let's see, that's about 25 gallons of gas I'll save. So this year I'll just give it all to BTS instead.

One reminder to those donating to this year's ride. If your employer has a matching fund plan available, don't forget to include the necessary forms. It's an easy way to double your contribution. I did this last year for my BTS ride and a contribution for another VFTT rider to another charity, and they were both matched 100%.

Just to make sure BTS gets the forms, I'll be donating by mail.

teejay

Dr. Dasypodidae said:
Opened thread twice, and donated once, but I may have screwed up by selecting general rather than VFTT for sponsorship, unless the link was dedicated to VFTT?
Bubba's link above goes directly to the VFTT "rider".

Remember Karma folks, that big boom-a-rang in the sky ! Karma forgets no past transgression but forgives quickly when shown small acts of charity. I'm confident a $20 donation here will prevent a $100 flat tire this summer.

Donation, Done!

Thanks again to Darren, Dave, Alan, and Bubba for all your hard work on this great site.

we are up another 20% in the last 5 hours...

thermometer-61.gif

Last edited:
Done!

But next year, I want to ride, having this new bike and all...
:D

Long day at work on the road today. I fell out of the stupid tree, hitting all the branches on the way down.
Went to Bubba's link(thank you, BTW) to donate. Do you need to login in order to be sure the donation supports the VFTT team, or just the 'donate' link on the top of Bubba's page does that automatically?

Sorry for being more dense than usual. Just tired.

Alan

Peakbagr said:
Do you need to login in order to be sure the donation supports the VFTT team, or just the 'donate' link on the top of Bubba's page does that automatically?
You do not need to login. Click on either the "Support Views!" above the thermometer, or "Make a gift!" beneath the thermometer. Either link will ensure that your donation is credited to the VFTT virtual rider.